Integration is one of the most common needs with any ERP system, and Dynamics GP is no exception. Until a few years ago as a GP user you really only have a few options for data integration tools: Integration Manager and SmartConnect. Integration Manager is a relic by all accounts, is slow and is expensive. SmartConnect is faster and costs less than Integration manager, but it’s still not affordable, and it’s not easy to use. Also, in the last few years SmartConnect has kind of lost its focus. With its loss of focus comes the cost of its being less easy to use.
A new alternative—ActiveConnect—was born about five years ago, and at this point it has become a robust and stable product with scores of users. It’s easy to use and has a unique pricing structure. You only pay for the integrations you use. If you only need to integrate GL transactions, why should you be forced to pay for sales order integrations, AP integrations, payroll integrations, etc.? That doesn’t make sense, does it?
Besides being more affordable and easy to use, ActiveConnect can handle the most complex Dynamics GP integrations, is stunningly fast and has a ton of great features like:
- Agent—allows you to schedule integrations
- Excel Integration—push data into GP with Excel without having GP open or even installed on your workstation.
- SmartList Preprocessor—allows you to speed up SmartList, have unlimited search criteria, and use SQL stored procedures (just know is key to allowing for the creation of any SmartList you can imagine) for SmartLists
- Launcher—a desktop application that allows you to run integrations but not modify them
- Logging—of both successes and failures, with e-mail notification
- Linking—allows you to run any number of integrations that are chained together, with a single button click
- Preprocesses—this allows you to do whole lot of things including the ability to validate data before any integration to GP is attempted
- Multitenant—designed to work on premise or in a cloud environment
- GP User-Interface Integration—run integrations right from the GP module areas
- Service Oriented Architecture—allows integrations to be run remotely, for example, from field offices that have no GP installations at their sites.
If you’re looking to create a new integration or are looking to replace Integration Manager, you would be well service to give ActiveConnect a close look.